[SOLVED] Cannot set or change user passwords

rsduhamel

This seems like a fundamental problem and I hope I'm not beating an already-beaten horse but I can't find anything to help me with a search.

I have MySQL installed on a Fedora Core 5 machine. Everything was installed through the original setup or the Add / Remove Software feature. Nothing installed that is not on the Fedora installation disks.

I was able to change the root password and the root account has no problems.

When I create a user in phpMyAdmin he has no password, even if I say to use a password. Nothing I do, either through phpMyAdmin, the MySQL Administrator or the command line, will give the user a password. When I try this at the command line it goes as follows:

-----------------

[root@localhost ~]# mysql -u root -p

Enter password:

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.

Your MySQL connection id is 193 to server version: 5.0.27

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> update mysql.user set password = PASSWORD('password') where user = 'fred';

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

Rows matched: 1  Changed: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> flush privileges;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> \q

Bye

[root@localhost ~]# mysql -u fred -p

Enter password:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'fred'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

[root@localhost ~]# mysql -u fred

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.

Your MySQL connection id is 195 to server version: 5.0.27

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql>

-------------------

Notice that I log in as root, try to change the user's password then quit. Then I try to log in as the user with the new password--access denied. Then I log in as the user, no password--success. Once logged in, in phpMyAdmin the user cannot create database. The result is the same if I add a password with phpMyAdmin.

Hope this is enough information. Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't you know it. After I finally gave up and posted the question I solved it myself. In phpMyAdmin, I recreated the user and set the host to localhost instead of any host (%). I also set the "Database for user" to "Grant all privileges on wildcard name (username_%)". This helped solve my next problem: "no privileges" for "Create New Database". Hope this saves someone else from pulling their hair out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.