Div Question

overlordofevil

I am new to using CSS but I have been looking over Div's but I am a bit confused about it all.

What I am doing is I am currently using a frameset for my index page on a php admin site. This is what I currently have.

<html>
<head>

</head>

<frameset cols="170,*" border="0">
	<frame src="link.php" name= "left" scrolling="no" noresize>
	<frameset rows="74,*" bordercolor="#000000" framespacing="0" frameborder="0">
	<frame src="header.php" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
	<frame src="main.php" name="main"  scrolling="yes" noresize>
	</frameset>
</frameset>

</html>

As you can see I have my page broken into a Left Column, Header and a main page. I have see with the div tags I can do the same thing but what I am wondering is how would I use that with a php script that changes what a person sees in the left columns (the links) based on their access level.

Now If I understand it correctly with using the divs the links should still work and look for "Main" when they are clicked on    even though it is now looking for a div tag, or am I wrong on that. I am playing around with divs and just wanted to see if I could get a hint on a tutorial or another location that could explain how to set the left column up to get info based on a php script.

I am already looking on these forums and  http://www.pmob.co.uk/ but i am still missing the php script info.

If there is an easier way to do this then please tell me, just trying to get better skills with php and css.

Thanks

Frames are somewhat outdated these days. They are not search engine friendly, and don't look so nice. Here are a couple articles on how to emulate frames using CSS, which results in nicer, cleaner, easier to read code that is search engine friendly.

http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/cssframes/

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum83/618.htm

The articles are a little older now, so parts of them may be outdated as well! I just did a quick search and found those two though. You will probably want to spend some time with google to find out more about it.

Either way, I strongly recommend against using frames. It's kind of '90s.

Oh I agree completely I just don't know how to set the page up any other way right now. :)  With everything I have been looking up I should be able to figure out how to do the same thing in css.

Once I figure out how to do this in css I figure it shouldn't be too hard to add in php scripts and thats what I was wondering if adding php scripts to control access is available with the css or if I have to do it another way.

Thanks for the sites I will look over these articles as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.