adding/removing xhtml content from dropdown menu

barbs75

Hey guys,

Right, i have an issue regarding generating xhtml dynamically, depending on the value selected from a dropdown menu.

This is the XHTML of the inputfield that i have:

<div class="inputfield">
   <label class="title" for="noofbed">No. of Bedrooms:</label>
   <select class="fade" name="noofbed" id="noofbed" onchange="create_fields(this.value)">
         <option class="fade" value="select">--Please Select--</option>
         <option class="fade" value="1">One</option>
         <option class="fade" value="2">Two</option>
         <option class="fade" value="3">Three</option>
         <option class="fade" value="4">Four</option>
         <option class="fade" value="5">Five</option>
         <option class="fade" value="6">Six</option>
   </select>
</div>

When the value of the dropdown box is changed, it calls the function 'create_fields(bedrooms)', the javascript of which is shown below:

//function to create bedroom fields needed
function create_fields(bedrooms){
//loops through each bedroom until all bedrooms are processed
for(var i=1; i<=bedrooms; i++){
	document.getElementById('bedrooms').appendChild(create_inputfield(i));//find submitCustomerForm and add inputfield
	}
}

the function above uses the following javascript functions:

//function to create inputfield div and all xhtml content inside
function create_inputfield(num){
//create xhtml for inputfield element declaration
var inputfield = document.createElement('div');
var divClassName = 'inputfield';//set classname
inputfield.setAttribute('class',divClassName);//add class and class name to inputfield
var inputfieldContent = '<p class="largeblue"><strong>Bedroom '+num+'</strong></p>';//variable containing xhtml content
inputfield.innerHTML = inputfieldContent;//adds xhtml content to inputfield
inputfield.appendChild(create_dimensiondiv(num));//adds on element created by function
inputfield.appendChild(create_descriptionHolder(num));//adds on element created by function
return inputfield;//return variable inputfield
}

//function to create dimensions div
function create_dimensiondiv(num){
var dimensiondiv = document.createElement('div');
var divClassName = 'dimensions';
dimensiondiv.setAttribute('class', divClassName);
dimensiondiv.innerHTML =  '<label class="room" for="bedroom'+num+'_width">Dimensions:</label><input class="fade" name="bedroom'+num+'_width" id="bedroom'+num+'_width" type="text" size="5" value="" /> x <input class="fade" name="bedroom'+num+'_length" id="bedroom'+num+'_length" type="text" size="5" value="" />';
return dimensiondiv;
}

//function to create descriptionHolder div
function create_descriptionHolder(num){
var descriptionHolder = document.createElement('div');
var divClassName = 'descriptionHolder';
descriptionHolder.setAttribute('class', divClassName);
descriptionHolder.innerHTML = '<label class="room" for="bedroom'+num+'_desc">Description:</label><textarea name="bedroom'+num+'_desc" id="bedroom'+num+'_desc" cols="35" rows="5">Enter your description here.....</textarea>';
return descriptionHolder;
}

The XHTML code that is reproduced for each bedroom that is selected is as follows:

<div class="inputfield">
   <p class="largeblue"><strong>Dining Room</strong></p>
   <div class="dimensions">
      <label class="room" for="diningroom_width">Dimensions:</label>
      <input class="fade" name="diningroom_width" id="diningroom_width" type="text" size="5" value="" /> x <input class="fade"   name="diningroom_length" id="diningroom_length" type="text" size="5" value="" />
   </div>
   <div class="descriptionHolder">
      <label class="room" for="diningroom_desc">Description:</label>
      <textarea name="diningroom_desc" id="diningroom_desc" cols="35" rows="5">Enter your description here.....</textarea>
   </div>	
</div>

This all works fine, however the issue i am having, is with removing the fields. I want to be able to do this on the fly when the user selects the number of bedrooms from the dropdown.

For example, if a user selects 3 bedrooms from the dropdown, 3 inputfield divs are created with all the content. But if the user then accidentally makes a boobie, and didn't mean to put in 3, but 2, then when they select '2 bedrooms' from the dropdown, the previous content for 3 bedrooms gets removed and then the 'create_fields()' function is executed.

How would i go about doing this?

i had an idea where i would add a function called 'remove_fields()', the javascript of which is shown below:

function remove_fields(bedrooms){
	//var b = document.getElementById('bedrooms');
	var oldb = document.getElementByClass('inputfield');
	removeChild(oldb);
}
}

This function is called within 'create_fields()' function, before the for loop is executed to generate the fields, this is shown in the code below:

//function to create bedroom fields needed
function create_fields(bedrooms){
//first remove previous inputfields if there are any
document.getElementById('bedrooms').removeChild(remove_fields(bedrooms));//<------INSERTED LINE TO REMOVE FIELDS
//loops through each bedroom until all bedrooms are processed
	document.getElementById('bedrooms').appendChild(create_inputfield(i));//find submitCustomerForm and add inputfield
	}
}

This doesn't work however, when the code is executed, even the fields that should be generated aren't added, i have looked on google with examples of how to do this, but what i have tried to thsu far, just doesn't work!!

the url for the working page is at http://www.go4home.co.uk/upload_stage2.php

If someone can see any errors in my code, or give me some pointers of how to this, that would be great

cheers guys

Craig

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.