Conditional SQL Queries

stragglerat

I'm using PHP to pull items from a SQL DB.  Is there a way to make one distinct item page and have a PHP script plug in an individual field entry to query just that item? That way a user can choose an item from a list, click "Details" and see a page with just that item. I know, this is confusing.  I'm just trying to keep from having to make a page for every item I have. Any ideas?

You may need to elaborate a little on what you are trying to achieve, but I'll have a stab at answering your question.

The following will show a projects details, in a template, showing details for the project chosen by the user, if that's not what you meant, please

give more details as to what you are trying to achieve

TABLE projects:

project_id                  INT UNSIGNED

project_name            VARCHAR(80)

project_description    TEXT

project_selector.php file:

<?php

// put your mysql connection code here to connect to the DB

if ( isset($_POST['smbt']) )
   {
            $project_id =@ (int)$_POST['project_id'];  // cast to int so we will always get an integer

$sql = "SELECT * FROM projects WHERE project_id = {$project_id}";

$ds = mysql_query( $sql ) or trigger_error( mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR );

$data = mysql_fetch_array( $ds, MYSQL_ASSOC );

$project_name = htmlspecialchars( $data['project_name'], ENT_QUOTES );

$project_description = htmlspecialchars( $data['project_description'], ENT_QUOTES );

print <<<_TEMPLATE

<p>Project Name: {$project_name}</p>

<p>Description:<br />{$project_description}</p>

_TEMPLATE;
   }
   else
   {

$options = '';

$sql = "SELECT project_id, project_name FROM projects ORDER BY project_name ASC";

$ds = mysql_query( $sql ) or trigger_error( mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR );

while ( $data = mysql_fetch_array( $ds, MYSQL_ASSOC ) )
          {

$options .= '<option value="' . $data['project_id'] . '">' . htmlspecialchars($data['projects_name'], ENT_QUOTES) . '</option>';

}

print <<<_FORM

<h1>Please choose a project:</h1>

<form action="{$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']}" method="post">         

<select id="project_id" name="project_id">
                     {$options}
            </select>

<input type="submit" name="sbmt" value="Show Project" />

</form>

_FORM;

}

?>

PS. I've actually typed all this code in, not tested so there may be some errors but I quickly scanned it afterwards, should be ok  ;)

Thanks for your help. Reading your post made me think about using a form to post data to the item page. Having some trouble though. Here's the form code from the main page:

echo "<form action='details.php' method='post'><input type='image' src='images/button_details.gif' name='0' value='".$row[0]."'></form>";

Here's the relevant part of details.php:

$query = "SELECT * FROM wwjitems WHERE item = '"$_POST["0"]"'";

And it's returning this error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/content/s/t/r/stragglerat/html/details.php on line 402

which is referring to that query up there. I believe it's a syntax error.  What do you think?

No probs, you could have written either ot the following, but also you need security on this

$query = "SELECT * FROM wwjitems WHERE item = '" . $_POST["0"] . "'";

or

$query = "SELECT * FROM wwjitems WHERE item = '{$_POST["0"]}'";

If your variable in $_POST["0"] (better to use a descriptive name in there btw) should always be an integer do this:

$post0 = (int)$_POST["0"];

This will force the value to be an integer and help mitigate hacking attempts.

You should also always escape any text when querying eg:

$name = $_POST['name'];

// should be connected to mysql before the following:

$db_name = mysql_real_escape_string( $name );  

$sql = "SELECT * FROM people WHERE name = '" . $db_name .  "'";

If you don't escape queries, you will fall into the beginners trap of leaving your database queries wide

open for hackers.

Hmm, I never really considered any kind of security measures.  I have to go to work right now, but I'd definitely like to talk to you more about this, and I have a question about your previous post.  Is there a way I can contact you directly, maybe through e-mail or IM? Unless, of course you'd like to keep the convo here to help others with the same problem. Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.