Can indexes prevent a query from properly executing?

Goldeneye

MySQL version 5.0.22

So I am working on this notification system for my Forum. When I go to the PHP script that executes the query, and returns it in an array, I get the good old, "Warning: mysql_fetch_row(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource" error. After about 4 days of troubleshooting, I got thinking that maybe it was the Indexes.. could it be? Because I'm 99.9% certain I have the correct code on the scripting end. And yes, I did insert a piece of dummy data, but it's still not displaying.

<?php 
CREATE TABLE `notifications` (
  `noteid` mediumint(9) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `type` int(2) NOT NULL, // forum message, article, link, privatemessage, etc.
  `time` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `userid` mediumint(9) NOT NULL, 
  `username` varchar(100) NOT NULL,
  `reason` blob NOT NULL,
  `status` int(1) NOT NULL, // taken care of, or not taken care of.
  `getid1` int(20) NOT NULL, // board=id (From url)
  `getid2` int(20) NOT NULL, // topic=id (from url)
  `getid3` bigint(20) unsigned NOT NULL, // message=id (from url)
  PRIMARY KEY  (`noteid`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=3 ;
?>

Speaking of which, I'm getting the same thing with my private messaging system as well.. I have a 'valid' piece of dummy data in the table, but it too returns the same error, and I'm 99.9% certain I have the correct query code for that as well.

So can indexes prevent a successful query?

A mysql_query() either returns a result resource if the query executed (even if there are zero rows in the result set) or a FALSE value if the query failed. Some reasons a query would fail are - no connection to a database server, no database selected, a syntax error in your query... The error message means that the query failed but your code blindly attempted to access a non-existent result resource.

To get mysql to tell you why the query failed you need to use the mysql_error() function in your error checking logic. There are examples of error checking in the php manual for the mysql_query() function - http://php.net/mysql_query

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.