Skinnable Website

bholbrook

Hello!

I am in charge of creating a large scale website, and for the first time it has to be 100% skinnable. I need to be able to move components and output to different places and in different sizes for different audiences. Does anybody know of a good extensive article on the process of creating a website that allows for complex skinning?

Thanks!

@stuffradio: Thanks for the link. I definitely took Google for a spin before posting; I didn't see that website. Good article, however, I am looking for something more complex than simply changing colors and images. Thanks for your efforts.

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming you have access to XSL in php 5, or could enable it,  then I would suggest looking into the workings of XML, Xpath, and XSLT.

Basically you make the system create nothing but pure XML either with the DOM, SimpleXML, etc.

Store the XML in a variable, based on a template flag..  do an xsl transformation on the xml using a template file.

Syntax is pretty straightforward, XSL and XML have been around for quite some time, and I've built some pretty intensive sites using that model.

http://us.php.net/manual/en/xsl.examples.php

http://us.php.net/manual/en/xsltprocessor.construct.php

PHP 5.3.0 will add xslt profiling to the transformation extension as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.