[SOLVED] move_uploaded_file problem

Japheth

Basically, move_uploaded file returns false, but the error code is 0.

I have confirmed that the uploaded file is being copied to /tmp because I can read data from it with fopen and fread. The reason I want to use move_uploaded_file is so I can store it and access it later on.

Furthermore, I tried changing the default tmp directory to the document root (/var/www/html) and phpinfo() correctly reflects the changes, but $_FILES['datafile']['tmp_name'] still returns /tmp/longTempName

I also tried changing the permissions of the temp file to 777 (I think it was 600 when it was first downloaded) and I successfully changed them, but I still couldn't copy the file.

phpinfo() says that my php build is not a debug build. Does this mean there's no way to get error messages from php without rebuilding it? (I installed php from a package) The reason I'm asking is because the error messages might shed some more light on my problem.

Fedora Core 7, PHP 5.2.6, Apache, SAFE_MODE = Off

I have root access to the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The PHP manual says that move_uploaded_file() will issue a warning with some more info when the file can't be moved.  I think you're on the right track in thinking it's a permissions problem, probably of the directory where you are trying to write it, although you didn't provide your code snippet, and you could have a problem with your destination file path.

Are you running php as fastcgi or as mod_php?  If mod_php then the user that needs the permissions to rw to the destination directory is the user that apache runs as.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.