Export/Import with no hassle?

blirette

Hi,

My friend Google couldn't help me find and answer so I'm turning on to you all. It should be fairly easy for you, but it's not (obviously) the case for me.

What is the most simple way to export data from one DB to another DB? I usually just use phpMyAdmin but sometimes it gives me some funky characters, tables are to big to export via phpMyAdmin, etc.

The DB uses/says the "collation" of the rows are in "utf8_general_ci" and some are "latin1_swedish_ci". It's usually the accentuated characters that are funky (à,é,è, etc.).

I'm really not an expert in mySQL (but use PHP) so any help would be apprciated. Thanks for you time.

if you have ssh access to server your can try mysqldump

first on main prompt not on mysql> prompt run this ..

mysqldump db_people  > dump.txt

then login to mysql and run..

mysql  db_name  < dump.txt

This should solve the problem.

Ok thanks!

But since I'm really a newbie on this, I'll need some clarification :

When I'll SSH and dump the file, where is it dumping it? On the server or downloading on my computer? (both DB are on seperate hosts, none local)

When I'll SSH on the second server, how can I target de dump.txt file? I mean, should the file be on the server or can it be locally on my computer?

Thanks for your time and help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.