[SOLVED] current date as value

BrianM

How do I enter the current date in this format -- mm-dd-yy -- in this query?

mysql_query("INSERT INTO `".$_POST['projectnumber']."` (Date)
VALUES ('".echo date(m-d-y)."')");

That is what I have right now, and is not working :|

No no no. Echo is used to display your string on the screen. You are just processing information here.

<?php
mysql_query("INSERT INTO ".$_POST['projectnumber']." (Date) VALUES ('" . date("m-d-y") . "')");
?>

You need to wrap your date() parameter with quotes aswell. I'm not sure if you can use Date as a fieldname. But if that works, then I guess you can.

Storing a date as mm-dd-yy in a database will result in the most painful experience for you and if your Date field happens to be a DATE data type, will result in invalid data (you will probably get 0000-00-00 in the database.)

Once you switch to use a standard DATE format, mysql has a CURDATE() function that returns the current date directly in the query statement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.