[SOLVED] Escapism

rarebit

Hi,

I seem to be having trouble with the whole escaping and htmlspecialchars thing...

I've set up my own way of installing data into mysql. When installing I parse the data with 'mysql_real_escape_string()', before inserting.

Then later when it's put into a form element I 'strip_tags()' and 'htmlspecialchars()', yet it still outputs '\ in the form, in actual fact outputting \’ .

However if I delete the offending slash then update the form it's ok. It's also ok when I input data directly into the form and update (multiple times...) and that uses the same process as when it's installed. So why the difference and how to solve please?

Rob

stripslashes($text);?

And if you don't want html tags you're better off using:

$text = str_replace ("<", ">", $text);

$text = str_replace (">", "<", $text);

I may have greater-than and less-than mixed up, I can never remember which is which.

mmm, i'd forgotten to mention stripslashes. Yet after a couple of hours of mind numbing check, uninstalling and installing, I realise it's actually one of the modules and not the base system and here it is already pre-escaped and therefore escaped on both parts...

Sorry about that and thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.