Preventing php execution and restricted html

Taxa

I am designing a website where the user, like this forum, can place comments, blog and customise with html etc. Each comment is stored in a table and stores all the writing that the user typed in.

Now, I realised, that the user can easily type php and send queries to the server as well as use tags to screw around with the website layout. For example: When someone gets a users message, the message is within a table square. The message, how ever, can use tags like </table> to make the message outside of the table, and type various other commands, screwing around with the layout of the site. How should I go about preventing this problem, but still allow the users full HTML customisation (similar to my space), but restrict them from screwing around with the site?

Use strip_tags() with exceptions.

strip_tags( $_POST['variable'], '<p>' )

This will allow the user to use the <p> tag.

Replace the <p> with whatever tag you don't want stripped or allow multiple tags with '<p>,<a>'.

You should also notice that you don't have to include the closing tag in the exception.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.