[SOLVED] Retreving mysql info with AJAX links?

Jason28

I have seen a few tutorials about Ajax working with php and mysql but they always use form values.  Could anyone provide an example of using a url with $_GET statements and have AJAX display the results from the DB?  Such as:

blah.php?action=view&user=5

and AJAX would pass the action and user info to php and display the result?  A working example would be great.  Thanks.

here's ajax script that calls your php-file (in this example: example.php) which does your queries (or whatever). it sends data via POST to your php file (if you want):

var request = false;
function postRequest(url, vars) {
  request = false;
  if (window.XMLHttpRequest) { // Mozilla, Safari,...
 request = new XMLHttpRequest();
 if (request.overrideMimeType) {
	set type accordingly to anticipated content type
	request.overrideMimeType('text/xml');
	request.overrideMimeType('text/html');
 }
  } else if (window.ActiveXObject) { // IE
 try {
	request = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
 } catch (e) {
	try {
	   request = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
	} catch (e) {}
 }
  }
  if (!request) {
 //alert('Cannot create XMLHTTP instance');
 return false;
  }

request.onreadystatechange = alertContents;
  request.open('POST', url, true);
  request.setRequestHeader("Content-type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
  request.setRequestHeader("Content-length", vars.length);
  request.setRequestHeader("Connection", "close");
  request.send(vars);
}

function alertContents() {
  if (request.readyState == 4) {
 if (request.status == 200) {
	result = request.responseText;
	document.getElementById('area').innerHTML = result;            
 } else {
	alert('There was a problem with the request.');
 }
  }
}

you call the function post(filepath, post_vars) with:

postRequest("example.php", "var1=whatever...");

the function postRequest() sends your variables to example.php where you do your queries. example.php returns an output to your ajax-function. The Ajax-function inserts the returned code in a specified textarea (with the line: document.getElementById('area').innerHTML = result; ). Thats it.

EDIT: I know this is $_POST but you can enter your $_GET variables in the $_POST string and use it with $_POST. If you need an AJAX-function with $_GET badly i can change it for you!

Or you SIMPLY deliver your url with your get-parameters (like: example.php?var1=test) and leave the POST-string empty.

did you read my edit?

insert this in your link:

javascript:postRequest("example.php?var1=whatever...", "");

and your example.php will be requested with "GET-variables" (var1 in this case).

(if you don't want to write the empty post-string all the time, change the function-declarations)

No sorry I didn't see your edit until you mentioned it now :)  Sure I will try it but if I cannot get it to work can I simply pay you for this?  I have this script written from scratch on a test site it is very clean and easy to read.  Thanks.

EDIT

In fact I am so busy I don't even feel like attempting to figure this out can you do this for me?  Thanks.

I agree. The forums are generally for people who need help with code, not for people who need code written for them. I am happy to help people who need help, but if people want me to write their code I expect a financial incentive.

That's fair enough. And even my rule isn't 100% inflexible - I have written short scripts for people here on a few occasions. But, I come here more from the stance of a teacher - many people helped me to learn what I know, so I am willing to help others figure out what they want to know. But just writing a script for someone isn't the best way to teach them, I would rather help someone get over a hurdle that they are having troubles getting over, than jumping over the hurdle for them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.