Plotting on a MAP image.

lynxus

Hi guys,

Im having a terrible problem finding any help on google, So wondered if anyone here can help.

I have a map of the UK as an image.

I then have a big txt file full of Lat and long values with the time. ( Im trying to plot lightning strikes )

Anyway, How do i go about this? Please bear in mind im fairly new to php.

Just the basic plotting of the lat longs should get me started. I just dont know where to start :(

Any ideas?

-G

Well, the first thing you'd need are the latitudes and longitudes of the four corners of your map. Without that, you cant really do anything -- you need a reference point to be able to plot the others. I suppose you could go for a rough estimate of the latitude and longitude of, say, central London and then estimate it's position on the map and go from there.

You'll then need to convert your latitudes and longitudes to positions (e.g. pixels) on the map by using a scale.

Then you'd need the gd library functions (http://www.php.net/gd) to be able to put something on top of the image.

In short, its not that easy :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.