PHP image verification

k4

Hey all

First post here, hopefully this board is more active than my old one.

I'm wrapping up my work on this webapp that uploads attachments too large for an e-mail to a company's server.

Here's the tool: http://opmstech.org/t_k/eat/

Two things:

1 - How can I speed up the upload times? Maybe via ftp'ing the file instead?

2 - On a scale of one to ten, how obscured is the image that filters out bots? How could I improve this?

Thanks for any help!

1.) I don't think you can -- you're limited by the upload speed of the user, which, for most, isn't that great.

2.) I think you could make it more dynamic. I notice the background is static -- perhaps have that change a little. You could also experiement with using varying fonts and font colours. Or you could try having the letters positioned in something other than a straight line. Basically, the less predictable (whilst still being readable) the better really.

p.s. Welcome to the forums!

1.) I don't think you can -- you're limited by the upload speed of the user, which, for most, isn't that great.

but would using an FTP protocol instead of PHP's standard function increase the upload speed?

How come so much info/movinging text/color is needed to keep out bots? are they that smart lol

No, but it discourages people whose jobs are solely dedicated to spamming or making mass accounts for example.

Just my 2 cents here. I don't have the greatest job, but I deal a little with OCR. We scan files and our system will read nearly every thing. One thing I noticed is that your code is a white while the spoofer text and background is a darker color. And since the background does seem to be static, all the bot would need to do is read lighter color of the image. You might might want to give the background some noise. Maybe assign random colors to the code text? Bot and spammers will only get smarter.

but would using an FTP protocol instead of PHP's standard function increase the upload speed?

I doubt there would be much, if anything, in it. I was referring to the upload speed of the user's connection. At the end of the day, the file has still got to be transferred to the server from the client and that's where the bottleneck lies.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.