HTTP downloads using FTP functions

calkette1

This seems like it would be easy, but I can't quite figure out the best way to do it.

I have a download repository of files named w/ index values stored in a MySQL table.  These files reside on a separate logical FTP server (actually one and the same, but hackers need not know where these files are stored).  I want to be able to FTP get a file, rename it to its true filename (also stored in the db), then pass it through as a HTTP download.

I'm not sure quite how to do this efficiently.  I'm sure this will involve a temp file, but that sounds kinda silly if I can just work with a buffered memory stream.  Can't create a pointer on a memory location... or can you?

Assuming $download_id is the index value/FTP file name, and $download_name is the true filename as retrieved from the db, how would I best go about this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.