Do people still use image maps?

scotchegg78

HI guys.

I need to create a contact us page where the user rolls over a map of the british isles and when they hover over one of many spots on the map where their is an office marked the details of the office pop up somewhere on screen. In dreamweaver i can create shap maps on jpegs and then have to play with JS to get it working i guess.

Just wondering if this is the best way or if there is anything easier to use?

thanks

Flash is cool if you can do that. never tried this, but looks cool and configurable if u know a lil flash and stuff: http://backspace.com/mapapp/

but i think since there is no meaty info, Leaving this info in image is prob fine.

might want to google css image maps (http://www.alistapart.com/articles/imagemap/), but i think not needed in this case.

the css maps i have seen so far could be a bit of a stress.

i have 18 locations to plot on my map. Doing these my hand working out coords and then the coords to display a block of text in teh same place could be a bit of a stress!

JS may be the answer after all, and I deally if i could find a way to place pins on a map based on thier Lat and Long it would be great!

I need to load my coords from a db, conver the Lats and Longs etc.

Hovre is i use a CSS map i can not do this can i? as they are in the CSS file as style properties?

So i need to use a HTML image map right? But can i use JS mouse over with this?!

oh so stressed!

Ok then i think i nearly have a plan!!

One last possible issue, I want to show the areas on the image,HTML area tags are normally hidden, how can i add an image to the area?

i have tried something like

<style type="text/css">
.spot{
background-image:url(spot.gif);
</style>
}
<area ... class="spot"> 

But this does not work :(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.