[SOLVED] Error in code display date code

xoligy

Ok i followed a tutorial for a news system with comments and got it working, but i wasn';t pleased with how the date was displaying so i found another date system on another tutorial and im trying to add it to this one but carnt get it to work  ::)

It's error is on line 47 and commented //

<?php

$query = "SELECT id, title, author, post, year, month, day, day_int, time FROM news_posts ORDER BY by id DESC LIMIT 5";

$result = @mysql_query($query);

if ($result) {

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

$day = $news_posts[day];

$day_int = $news_posts[day_int];

$month = $news_posts[month];

$year = $news_posts[year];

$time = $news_posts[time];

$url = 'comments.php?id='.$row['id'];

echo 

'<table width=98% align=center>

<TH align=left style="font-size: 11px;">'.$row['day'], .$row['month'] .$row['day_int'], .$row['year'].'</TH>
// this is the culprit!
<TR><TD width="98%"><p><b style="font-size: 16px;">'.$row['title'].'</b></TD>

<TR><TD style="font-size: 11px;">Posted by : <b><a href="#">'.$row['author'].'</a></b></TD>

<TR><TD style="padding: 15px;"><p>'.$row['post'].'</TD>

<TR><TD><a href="javascript:openComments(\''.$url.'\')">Add new comment or view posted comments</a></p></TD></TR>

</table>';

}

} else {

echo 'There are no news posts to display';

}

?>

I'll be back with more problems no doubt as there are two other things im trying to figure out too... not just on this page but also the submit page  :D

Edit the date should be displayed liek this: day, month day_int, year

There is no date displaying now because i canna figure out how to add it, before it was added like day, month year and want it day, month day_int, year the date code has been changed by me with new code you see :/

Proper error debugging is a very important tool in a programmer's chest.

Isolate the error to a specific line of code ( remove lines one by one until the error is gone ). Once you've narrowed it down that far, isolate it to a specific statement using similar methods. Just because PHP found an error on x line doesn't mean the problematic code is on that line, or for that matter, anywhere near it.

I also recommend grabbing the PHP build of the Eclipse IDE (PDT)

http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/

It's a great environment that can be set up for real-time debugging. Best part is it's free :D

I understand bits and bobs of it, before i changed the code the addnews page used the Now() to store the date so i guess i can change that back and then use the datebase to get the date like

$query = "SELECT id, title, author, post, DATE_FORMAT(date, '%M %d, %jS %Y') as sd FROM news_posts ORDER BY date DESC LIMIT 5";

then put the code to display the date back to '.$row['sd'].'

Woudl that work?

it is a good practice to keep your field and table names in ticks and values in single quotes. For good reason, you have  a field named "date". It is a reserved word and you may get errors. Words like order and group will also give problems. so good practice to do this

$query = "SELECT `id`, `title`, `author`, `post`, DATE_FORMAT(`date`, '%M %d, %jS %Y') as `sd` FROM` news_post`s ORDER BY `date` DESC LIMIT 5";

Ray

@Revraz, lol

Ray@ when i used your $query string it didnt like it lol just thought let you know had to put it back to

$query = "SELECT id, title, author, post, DATE_FORMAT(date, '%M %d, %Y') as sd FROM news_posts";

i think i got the jS wrong too so gonna sort that out :)

lol sorry thats cause I messed this up

` news_post`s

my bad

$query = "SELECT `id`, `title`, `author`, `post`, DATE_FORMAT(`date`, '%M %d, %jS %Y') as `sd` FROM `news_posts` ORDER BY `date` DESC LIMIT 5";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.