[SOLVED] MySQL? No connection

ChrisDN

If you could just bare with a PHP/MySQL newbie for a second...

MySQL version: 5.0

PHP version: 5.2.6

$link = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "password");
if (!$link) {
    die("Could not connect: " . mysql_error());
}
echo "Connected successfully";
mysql_close($link);

mysql_error() returns nothing.

Quite simply nothing happens; the browser window is blank.

phpinfo(); shows PHP to be running fine and I can run standard PHP scripts.

I can log in to MySQL via the command line and through HeidiSQL to do everything. I just can't seem to connect to the database via PHP to do anything.

Being as this is my first time venturing into PHP + MySQL I haven't really tried much else apart from uninstalling Apache, PHP + MySQL and starting from scratch following each installation step to the letter; still no joy.

I presume I've not quite set up MySQL correctly somewhere.

What could I be missing?

I think you should use new mysqli php extension instead of old mysql

Thanks, I shall give that a try.

Your only connecting to mysql, but you also then need to select the db you want to use...

I know how to connect to the database and had been doing that previously but it wasn't working. I found the script/query I posted just to test the connection.

When display_errors are off or the error_reporting level is not set to show all errors an undefined mysql_connect() function will execute the or die() statement but mysql_error() will not exist either.

Add the following two lines after your first opening <?php tag -

ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);

This will show fatal runtime, warning, and notice error messages (fatal parse errors won't be shown by this unless you set these two equivalent values in your php.ini or a .htaccess file.)

When learning php, developing php code, or debugging php code, always turn on full php error reporting to get php to help you.

Aha! That's what I was after!

That threw up the Call to undefined function mysql_connect()error which I've seen floating rond in several FAQs so I can get on to it.

Thanks for that PFMaBismAd.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.