[SOLVED] Looking for a search function

NovaArgon

Well I have been trying deferent search engines from here http://php.resourceindex.com/Complete_Scripts/Searching/Searching_Your_Web_Site/ for my Tarantula database and I haven't really come up with anything that will allow me to submit Tarantulas to my web page using their scientific names and also allow them to be search able by color, size, housing type, old world, new world, humidity, male, female and/or anything else I would want to search them by.

There are 800+ different types of Tarantulas and 99% of the time, you decided you want a big or small one or a blue one or a extra harry one before you find out what Tarantulas actually have those traits. I would like my site to be a place where you can search for blue and find all the Tarantulas that I have tagged as blue. Then you could search the results and find all the blue Tarantulas that are Old World.

Can you guys tell me if there is anything already out that fits the bill that I should look into?

If not I'v been given this link http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/ Is it a good place to start? I really don't know anything at all about php or mysql.

Thanks so much for all the advice

Make an 'Advanced Search' which lists those traits, and have specific criterion built from the users input.

Color Dropdown: Blue/Red/Brown

Select * FROM Tarantulas where color='Red'

and

Size > '5cm' -- user input of size

X = 'Y' -- user input of X

I haven't started building the page yet I know html and css but thats about it. This will be my first attempt at learning php.

I know of a page that has the kinda tag system I want, it even shows the most popular searches. I just don't know the name of it or how to recreate it on my site. The down side is that its an adult site. If you want to take a look at it shoot me a pm

Let me just ask this. Can I go ahead and build my website and setup the look of the page using html/css or is PHP like a web design code that I will need to build the site out of?

I just need to know where to start. The last post went way over my head.

Thanks

Theres a regex based one on my site here that can handle the variability that you want. You'll probably want to develop it adding extra features or having multiple options. If your new to regex (regular expressions) then there's a forum here at phpfreaks...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.