[SOLVED] using * in regex

programguru

I am and really stumped, and I wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on my misunderstanding.

Using the * in a match - of course * means zero or more of the previous char

If sama*ntha

matches: sammntha, samantha, and samaaantha

why would it not match smantha ??

Can anyone explain this? I cannot find a sensible answer online and it driving me nuts!

So it appears to be matching everything literal after and before "a" but obviously "a" does not need to exist, so "smantha" would evaluate to false.

So the correct explanation of * would be "looking for exact strings prior and after the previous char marked with *"

Like:

john*na

johnona would return true

johnnnna would return true

jonnna would return false

Am I getting this or dreaming?

So the correct explanation of * would be "looking for exact strings prior and after the previous char marked with *"

Quantifier applies only to what is immediately in front of it, which could be either character, (non-)capturing parentheses, character class.

lordfrikk,

That makes sense, but I am not sure why would "sama*ntha" evaluate true for "sammntha"? As you can see "sama" is no part of it. TravisJRyan seemed to clarify this, but am I missing something?

I tried expr "sama*ntha" on this test case "sammntha"

no matches

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.