Query string question

BrianM

How is it that you get one page, say index.php, to contain content for multiple pages. Like - index.php?mode=register or index.php?mode=edit ... that being an example, I hope somebody see's what I'm getting at here. But how does a page use $_GET[''] based on the contents of the query string to determine what part of a page to display if it's all on one page?

when you use $_GET['variablename']  it retrieves the value for you from the URL.

so as in your example: the URL = index.php?mode=register

$a = $_GET['mode'];
//print($a);

Now you use that variable in a switch statement and use it to call your includes.

switch $a {

case "register":
   include('register.php');
   break;

case "edit":
   include('edit.php');
   break;

case default:
   include('main.php');
   break;

}

you would setup all these pages to be the content of your site.

and put the above code at the top of your page.

Instead of making a new topic I thought I would continue in this one.

I'm getting this error with the following code, and I don't see any problem with it, hopefully somebody else will.

Error: Parse error: parse error, expecting `'('' in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\timetech\install.php on line 110

Code:

<?php
mysql_close($mysql_connect) or die(mysql_error());
} else if { // this is line 110
	header("Location: install.php?mode=delete");
	}
?>

if (isset($_GET['p'])){
        if (valalpha($_GET['p'],1,255) AND (file_exists("ing/". $_GET['p'] . ".php"))){include("ing/". $_GET['p'] . ".php");} else{include("ing/news.php");}
     } ELSE { include("ing/news.php"); }

im using this script for that...

grimmier, your get example works, but I don't want it to keep the same page content up after a new query string is brought up, but instead take away what's there and just show the new include file without the old page... is this possible?

yeah you can do that, just recall the page and change your variables witin the url. if you want to keep the same function for all of your pages.

i have some other examples of this floating around. but its 3:30am here now and i can't think straight anymore.

I hear you there, I'm surprised I'm in the mood to learn anything at 2:45 am :|

Well I think I'm going to continue this tomorrow, going to hit the hay and call it a night.

Thanks for all your help! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.