[SOLVED] Looking for beginer advice on creating a multi variable web search function.

NovaArgon

This is a little background on what my goal is.

I have been trying deferent search engines from here for my Tarantula website and I haven't really come up with anything for the search function it just needs to allow users search by all or any of these options.

1. Scientific Names = genus + species----------Will be added over time

2. Genus = 100+ different tarantulas-----------Can be added upfront but may need to change or add to over time

3. Species = 800+ different species------------Will be added over time

4. color = The most common colors-------------Will be added over time

5. Gender = Male, Female----------------------Fixed

6. Humidity = Low 50% to 60%, Medium 60% to 70%, High 70% to 85%-------Fixed

7. Speed = Slow, Medium, Fast-----------------Fixed

8. Temperature = Cool 50°F to 80°F, Warm 60°F to 90°F, Hot 75°F to 90°F----Fixed

9. Max Size = 1" to 3", 4" to 6", 7" to 8, 9"+-----Fixed

10. Location = New World, Old World------------Fixed

11. Housing = Arboreal, Terrestrial, Fossorial-----Fixed

There are 800+ different types of Tarantulas and 99% of the time, you decided you want a big one or a small one or a blue one or a extra harry one before you find out what Tarantulas actually have those traits. I would like my site to be a place where you can search for blue and find all the Tarantulas that are tagged as blue. You could mix and match and search to find all the blue Tarantulas that are Old World and so on.

I also need a system that will allow users to submit Tarantulas to my website using their scientific names along with any other information or pictures they have. There also must be a way for me/admin to approve/deny/edit all the submission before they are posted into the site or made search able. So there will need to be some type of admin login panel that will allow me/admin to be the only ones able to approve/deny/edit the submission.

There must also be some way to upload images and data about the Tarantulas that are already existing in the site. I also need to be able to have a good looking results page.

Well you've got to start some where right?  ;D Please forgive me for the following vague questions but being a beginner its really be a challenge to explain everything I need the search function to do.

I would really appreciate it if you guys would be so kind as to help me figure out what sets of code/database or program will allow me to accomplish this?

My most important question is how a beginner should go about starting a project like this?

I was advised to check out regex, php, mysql, and ASP (I think it only works on windows server and mine is on a Linux) ???

This is a link to my site. The only thing I care to keep is the design the form's not connected to anything and for all I know I'll never need them but I made them just to give myself an idea of what I thought it would look like.

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/assets/pages/search.html

Thank you all so much for trying to get me started on the right path.

I'm still not sure if this is posted in the right place but

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/assets/pages/test.html

This is kinda what I have been playing around with for php If this is working I can see how it works a little.

I haven't been able to get connected to the database I did find out that to make a table I go into my cpanel then into phpmyadmin. I made a table with 1 feild but I don't understand what format I need to use.

Will i have 1 table for each spider or will i have 1 table called Tarantula with 1 field called Housing and so one like this.

Table called Tarantula

>Housing
>>>>>>>>Arboreal
>>>>>>>>Terrestrial
>>>>>>>>Fossorial
>Location
>>>>>>>>New World
>>>>>>>>Old World
>Speed
>>>>>>>>Slow
>>>>>>>>Medium
>>>>>>>>Fast

Is this right at all?

I am confused about the things that I dont know like genes species and color.

I think i got the hang of how to create the table... I think

This is my table

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/table.JPG

and these are the values

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/value.JPG

I couldn't figure out how to leave a field value black so I just put None in as a place holder.

How does that look?

Any advice would be great

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.