Flash to PHP submission - German characters issue

Hi all,

Desperately need help with this issue, been banging my head against it for the past two days!!!

Essentially I have a Flash form that submits info, I need to allow German characters in several of the fields.  On testing the following happens:

I enter the following into my Flash field:

äÄéöÖüÜß

And send the vars via:

myVars.sendAndLoad("savescore.php", myVars, "POST");

PHP seems to be recieving it as this:

äÄéöÖüÜß

When it should be received as:

äÄéöÖüÜß

Any ideas???

Do I need to change the charset that Flash submits the Post command in to iso-8859-1 or something like that?  I'm pretty sure it submits as UTF-8 but it's definitely breaking down somewhere between the Flash and when it's read in to the php.

Any help is really greatfully received - time is tinking on this one now!

Thanks a million,

Matt

Your saying that Flash is sending out the vars htmlencoded, or is your PHP script doing that?

I'm no expert on encoding for different languages but, try and see if this does anything for you in your PHP script:

htmlentities($myVars, ENT_QUOTES, "UTF-8")

I'd venture to guess that you need to be certain that Flash is using UTF-8 so both sides are talking the same.

HTH

;D

Success - huge thanks to widox!!!

I had been trying html_entity_decode, but working with:

$firstname = htmlentities(strip_tags($_POST["firstname"]), ENT_QUOTES, "UTF-8");

has now sorted the prob.

I'm about to attempt a Taiwanese translation too, you reckon it's just a case of changing the char code to "EUC-JP" or "BIG5"?

Thanks again - you've saved my sanity :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.