can I insert a file into a database other than a csv file

cluce

I have an issue with uploading and keeping the same data in my excel spreadsheet when I convert it to a csv file.  First, I tried to insert the excel spreadsheet into the database using the following code:

<?php
$counter = 1; //initialize counter

include'db.php';

include'salt.php';

$handle = fopen("triaport.xls","r");
while(($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000, ",")) !== FALSE) 
{
   $company = $data[0];
   $division_number = $data[1];
   $username = $data[2];   
   $password = $data[3];  
   $f_name = $data[4];   
   $l_name = $data[5];   
   $email = $data[6];   
   $priv = $data[7];

$sql = "INSERT INTO employees (deleted for security reasons) VALUES (')"; 

mysqli_query($mysqli, $sql);   

$counter++;
   echo 'SQL='.$sql.'<br/>';  
}
?>

which works fine with a csv file. But the problem is two of the columns in my table require leading zeros and csv file removes the leading zeros. I tried to use an excel spreadsheet but it does not work with my loop which inserts Null values in my table. I have about 500 records so manually adding leading 0's in the csv file would be tedious.  A csv file removes all formatting which changes the actual data that I need to insert in the databse.

Does anybody know any other method I can use to insert a file into the MYSQL database?  Or know how to use another type of file besides a csv file that would work?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.