[SOLVED] Lock Account

jaymc

Im creating a feature on why website where as if a user enters the wrong password 5 times their account is locked for an hour, to prevent people trying 100's of passwords until they gain access, or a bot trying a dictionary attack

All seemed well, although I've just thought, any of my members has the potential to lock someone elses account which in turn, stops the genuine member from loggin in

I dont think there is a way around this.. maybe there is

Is this just how it works, or is there a better way to stop people trying 100s of passwords to gain control of an account / bot doing a dictionary attack

Cheers

Add a table with IP / time failed, or a time failed in the user table and check the login against their fail time. You could simply use sessions to store how many times they've failed the password. If you want more security, add a column in the db for it. If >1 hour, let them log back in again.

Maybe add a CAPTCHA to the password entry screen..

also log the IP and maybe stop that trying any login for an hour (yes i know thats not 100%)

Heh got to it before I could. But yeah a CAPTCHA would make it so auto attack systems wouldn't be able to get through. Or another thing, maybe have an email send to the attacked account (on a lock) saying that they must follow a link or be unable to login for the duration.

Another thing you can do (if you have their email) is if the account is locked, give them a link to send an unlock link to the email address. Provide them with a unique URL to unlock their account, and then they can log in again.

...and then still keep the auto-unlock after an hour part....

p.s. - CAPTCHAS are a pain in the ass for the user...avoid them at all costs

Yes I know, I hate these dam script kiddies

Thanks for tips guys

I think session is a good one

Maybe 5 failed attempts per IP Address too

I disagree, if the site is used enough, it should be implemented~

Yeh true, I would love to avoid them at all costs, but avoiding them leaves you open to intrusion or DOS attacks

I guess web standards of today must force implementation of captcha's this the script kiddy world of the internet has gone BOT mad

Sessions won't work..

if the user deletes this cookies or jusr removes the PHPSESSION from the URL, thay can try again

i think rhodesa's solution is best but of course more work..

Another thing you can do (if you have their email) is if the account is locked, give them a link to send an unlock link to the email address. Provide them with a unique URL to unlock their account, and then they can log in again.

I disagree, if the site is used enough, it should be implemented~

ok...how about a compromise and making them use a CAPTCHA if they have failed to login a few times for that account?

I didn't say store the Locked var in the session, I was just saying you COULD store the FAIL COUNT in the sessions, assuming the  user was oblivious. Then, when count reaches X, add the locked status to the database.

And I also said, should you want more security, make a table for attempts, or add a col to the users table.

wouldn't it be better to just update a field in the DB !

In my opinion, yes.

Simplicity for the original poster, no. :P

If I update it in the DB, that will lock every computer from logging into that account

But if I base it on SESSIONS, it will lock  the "attackers" computer out

I guess a captcha after 3 attempts is a nice comprimise

Thanks again

But if I base it on SESSIONS, it will lock  the "attackers" computer out

Just to point this out.. Sessions will NOT lock the attackers computer

Sessions won't work..

if the user deletes this cookies or jusr removes the PHPSESSION from the URL, thay can try again

i think rhodesa's solution is best but of course more work..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.