Escaping single and double quotes

lemmin

I am trying to escape single and double quotes and I have come across the strangest anomalies. I can get each to escape in separate cases, but never together. Here is what I mean;

If the outer-most quotes are single and the inner ones are double, double quotes will escape but not single quotes:

//This works:
onMouseOver='self.status="te\"st";'
//But this doesn't:
onMouseOver='self.status="te\'st";'

Similarly, if the outer-most quotes are double and the inner ones are single, single quotes will escape but not double quotes:

//This works:
onMouseOver="self.status='te\'st';"
//But this doesn't:
onMouseOver="self.status='te\"st';"

However, if I only use one set of qoutes everything works as expected, but it seems strange to not have the event code in quotes:

//This works:
onMouseOver=self.status="te\"\'st";

Is there anyway to get both types of quotes to escape inside tiered quotes? If not, should I be worried about not putting the event code in quotes as the last code example shows?

Thanks for any help.

It makes perfect sens to me. I think you are confusing the parameter value and a string value. You don't escape quortes for the paramater, but you do for the string. Here is one of the examples where you say it doesn't work:

Here is the parameter value:

Here is the string value:

It is defined with single quotes, so any single quotes in the string must be escaped.

I understand what the string is. I want to be able to put a quote character in the string, but the method I found to allow me to this disallows me to use a single quote character in the string, likewise, the other way around is a problem, too.

In the example you provided, how would I make a double quote show up in the status bar?

Thanks for the help.

Just use the HTML character code(s):

<html>
<Head></head>

<body>

<div onMouseOver="self.status='A test with (\') single quote.';">This shows a single quote</div><br>
<div onMouseOver="self.status='A test with (") double quote.';">This shows a double quote</div><br>
<div onMouseOver="self.status='A test with (\') (") both quotes.';">This shows both quote makrs</div><br>

</body>
</html>

Thanks, that would be a good solution, but I was curious if there was actually a way to make the escaping work as expected. It seems strange to me that it is only possible to escape one or the other. I figured there was a different syntax than the way I was doing it that would allow normal escaping of those characters.

Thanks for the help.

I hear what you're saying. I thought thre was a way to escape the outer quotes as well. But I wasn't able to figure out a solution after several minutes of testing. So, as long as there is an acceptable solution I wouldn't waste too much time trying to figure it out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.