Trouble with password protection

spiderdan

I have been trying to implement the method of password protection given here onto a page on one of my sites. Once I downloaded the file, I opened it with notepad and changed the login and password to what I wanted them to be. I believe I left all other settings default. I then tried to open the script with the help parameter in internet explorer and it asked me to open or save the script. If I choose open, it opens with dreamweaver. If I use firefox, it displays some code jibberish, the actual login and passward fields, and some more code jibbersih. I cant find the code to put in my page in any of that. I then tried using the example code on the page where I acquired the script from, except I changed the file location to the directory where mine was saved. I pasted this as the first line of code and as the first line under <body>. No good. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Also, if someone knows of a better (free) method of password protection, I am open to suggestions. Thanks ahead of time!

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.