Formatting returned php/mysql results differently.

bradholland

OK First off, Hi everyone, it's my first post, had a read of the rules etc hello and all that and had a good search on google and this seems to be the definative place to get answers and learn stuff! :)

I am pretty much a total beginner, been watching a few course etc and working along although i wouldn't call myself a "total" noob, i can kinda read code and follow what it means to an extent.

Which leads me to make this statement before i ask my question: at risk of offending the rules with my first post im not sure whether i should have posted this in the mysql help or the php help forums, so its not intentional if its in the wrong place, and i apologise in advance!

ok.

I'm playing about with a little db ive created. Im using a flash file to get the data outpuuted from this php file.

I want to format the way the results are given to me in a different way.

Heres just a little bit of the code and you can see basically what its doing. All pretty basic stuff I guess.

while ( $i <= $numTracksToGet){

$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

extract($row);

$echoString .= "&tracks_id=".$row['tracks_id']."&track_name="$row['track_name']";";

in that snippet of code before it loops round again it will display my results as

&tracks_id=1;&track_name=test1;&tracks_id=2;&track_name=test2;

something like that anyway.

but what i want to do is display it like this:

&tracks_id=1;2;3;&tracks_name=test1;test2;test3

so it returns all the track id's then all the track names etc etc

Im not sure if i could have done this simply by changing the sql statement or if i should do this in the php code??

can anyone shed any light as to how i make the code to display the results like this.

Thanks for reading my post

Brad

while($conditional==whatever) {
     $tracks_id.=$row['tracks_id'] . ";";
     $tracks_name.=$row['track_name'] . ";";

$echoString=$tracks_id . "&" . $tracks_name;
}
?>

I believe that is what you're looking for

thanks for the reply mate.

is it too much to ask you (if your feeling charitable)

to talk me through whats happening there? I know its easy for me to copy and paste something like that, but i dont learn unless i understand what im doing.

I dont want someone to just "give me code" (well it helps, but as i say....)

thanks

b

<?php

while($conditional==whatever) { // starts your loop
     $tracks_id.=$row['tracks_id'] . ";"; // puts your tracks id column values into a single string, adding onto each other separated by ;
     $tracks_name.=$row['track_name'] . ";"; // puts your tracks name column values into a string, adding onto each other separated by ;

$echoString=$tracks_id . "&" . $tracks_name; // sets a variable with the previous two variables, separated by &

}

// after the loop is where you probably would want to echo $echoString
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.