[SOLVED] Nested while statements

DrDankWD

I'm stumped, im hoping someone has an idea...

I have a DB table:

prSitemap_pages

With the fields:

id

parent_id

title

project_id

When a page has a parent_id of 0 it is a top level page, when a page has a parent_id of another pages id then it is a sub page.

There can be an unlimited number of subpages for each parent and subpage (sub sub pages, and sub sub sub sub pages, etc.)

When I am trying to create a display of all the pages and thier sub pages I am not sure how to go about nesting the loops.  Basically what I have is:

$project_id = $_GET['pId'];
$get_parents = db_query("SELECT * FROM prSitemap_pages WHERE project_id = '$project_id' AND parent_id = '0'");
while ($parents = mysql_fetch_array($get_parents)){
//print parent
echo $parents['title'].'<br />';		
            //get_children///
	$get_children1 = db_query("SELECT * FROM prSitemap_pages WHERE project_id = '$project_id' AND parent_id = '".$parents['id']."'");
	while ($children1 = mysql_fetch_array($get_children1)){
		//print the child
		echo $children1['title'].'<br />';

}		
}

The above method would work if I knew how many layers down the sub pages would go.  I would just keep nesting another while statement into the previous until I had reached the fathest the sub pages could go.  But the issue is that the amount of sub pages layers could go down is unlimited.

I hope that makes sense, its been a long day :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.