.htaccess help?

peuge

Ok so I got this url when you enter the page

www.yoursite.com/index.php

now I have a menu with options such as Contact - Gallery - etc...

This menu sends a variable to index.php such that the address becomes

www.yoursite.com/index.php?choice=1

choice 1 is the gallery

So firstly I want to make that

www.yoursite.com/gallery

Secondly in the gallery I have thumbs.php and categories.php in a table with a large view of the picture clicked in the middle.

I need to send the variable when user clicks on a thumb to index.php or it just opens up gallery.

So when I click on a thumb the url reads

http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?pic=IMAGENAME&category=landscape/&&choice=1

where pic is the image name, category the category and choice keeps index in gallery.

I need the url to just say the category such as:

www.yoursite.com/landscape

Is there a way to do this in .htaccess? I have been googling but cannot seem to figure it out?

Thanks

It's not intuitive to access a specific gallery category that way. And you also need to include the IMAGENAME somewhere.

My advice is to access them like this:

gallery - mysite.com/gallery/

gallery category - mysite.com/gallery/landscape/

gallery image inside category - mysite.com/gallery/landscape/imagename/

Something like this below would work for those examples. Just put the .htaccess file in your website root:

.htaccess

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^gallery/$ index.php?choice=1
RewriteRule ^gallery/([a-zA-Z0-9]+)/$ index.php?choice=1$category=$1
RewriteRule ^gallery/([a-zA-Z0-9]+)/([a-zA-Z0-9]+)/$ index.php?choice=1$category=$1&pic=$2

Should get you started. If the category name and image name can contain anything other than alphanumeric characters, just alter [a-zA-Z0-9] accordingly.

I will try to explain further:

I have

1) Gallery.php - include thumbs.php and categories.php all requests from these are sent to index.php

2) index.php - includes menu.php, gallery.php, home.php etc all requests from menu.php are sent to index.php

The reason I sent them to index.php is because I need the page to stay the same and only the relevant data to load in a table I created in index.php

No with all these pointing to index.php my url is always /index.php?SOMETHING.HERE

example:

/index.php?pic=images/landscape/big/como%2040%20x%2050%20(Large).jpg&category=landscape/&&choice=1

So now my question is with that information can I rewrite my urls to just be images/landscape/imgname?

or not?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.