month name from week and year

tkm

Hello Mates,

Need a small help. Can anyone provide me insights or some few lines of code on how can I get month's name from providing the week and year information. Say I want to know the name of the month of 2nd week of year 2008. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

From the comments of the last link, there's an easy solution working at my box (PHP 5.2.2, Apache on WinXP):

<?php
$week = 2;
$year = 2008;
$week = str_pad($week, 2, 0, STR_PAD_LEFT);
$month = date('F', strtotime($year . 'W' . $week));
echo $month;
?>

This echoes the month on the first day of the specified week (on my box, may be system dependent). So week 1 would output December, since week 1 started in December, 2007 (2007-12-31).

That's easy to do once you have a Unix timestamp. I'm assuming that you know the number of weeks into the year so to get the month number you will need to divide that by 4 (you may need to round it down by using floor() ). Now you can make a Unix timestamp by using the mktime(hour,minute,second,month,day,year) function and the month number and year (you can fill parameters you don't need like hour, day etc with 0). Then you can easily use the date() function to get the month's name like this:

<?php
date("F", $timestamp);
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.