PHP Idea, curious of difficulty.

pnrule

Hello, I just thought of an awesome idea for a website. I don't want to disclose too much information so someone doesn't steal the idea, but in a nutshell it is a social music sharing and rating website.

Similar to iLike, but much more in depth.

I am experienced in HTML and CSS, but that is about it.

How difficult would it be to try to learn PHP and code such a website?

Is it even worth my time?

Put it this way: if you really really think your idea is really that awesome then I'd honestly suggest you invest in someone building it for you, so you get it launched ASAP, becasuse the longer you wait to have it launched, the more likely someone will beat you to the punch. 

Well, it's not necessarily "hard" in the sense of difficulty to learn per se...more like "hard" in the sense of you're not going to learn what you need to learn to make that site happen overnight. Or a week.  Or a month. 

It's hard for me to give you any kind of accurate estimate because I don't know you, so I can't really judge how good you are at picking stuff up.  Neither do I know what all you really want your site to do, other than your vague description of "Similar to iLike, but much more in depth."

But I did go to iLike.com and that in and of itself is no overnight project by someone just dabbling.  You're going to have to get some decent knowledge in working with databases.  You're going to have to get some decent knowledge of php and how to use a framework and make a decent design pattern.  You're gonna probably have to learn javascript/ajax, depending on what kind of features you want.

umm...it took you a week to learn html but only a few hours to learn css? How can that possibly be possible? But anyways...

Yes. Start with the basics.  The proverbial "Hello World" tutorial that teaches you how to echo stuff out, operators, etc.. move up to loops and conditions and functions.  Learn how to interact with a database.  Learn database structuring (relational databases, etc..), how to optimize them, how to write queries efficiently, etc... For a project that size, you're gonna wanna then move on to object oriented programming.  Then read up on design patterns and stuff. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.