Text parsing performance question

zaroundus

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the performance issues are with parsing multiple tabs and new lines in print statements. I have a developer that uses a ton of \t metacharacters when printing in PHP and I was wondering if there were any performance issues with this.

Example:

print "\t\t\t\t\t\tQuery Failed.<br />\n\t\t\t\t\t\t$newsSel_q<br />\n\t\t\t\t\t\t".mysql_error()."\n";

There are several lines like this in every page and it really drives me crazy but I don't want to force a code change unless there is some valid reason for it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to force a code change unless there is some valid reason for it.

How about on the grounds that it looks retarded?

Performance effects would be fairly minimal. The browser would be loading a larger file, so naturally there is some performance loss. As i say though, this is small. On the otherhand; I would find it a complete pain to work with that -- it's horrible on the eyes.

The developer in question wants his final outputted HTML to be properly indented. It doesn't matter to me at all and I know that whitespace in general can cause performance hits. It is very hard to look at but I wasn't sure if the aesthetics were the only thing wrong there. Maybe I'll do some script timing and see what the actual performance dip is.

By source code, I assume you mean HTML? How important is this--are people actively reading it? You could use a module to build the output tree, perhaps. What happens when you change the GUI--all of the tabs must be updated throughout?

I don't want to force a code change unless there is some valid reason for it.

How about on the grounds that it looks retarded?

Sorry for the useless post, but I had to lol. :\

Anyways, just use css. It's the obvious answer. Unless you're making a website that is known for its source code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.