PHP XML Extension not loaded on FreeBSD

I'm having a problem with my new webserver project.  I'm rebuilding my webserver in FreeBSD after a massive failure on my win 2k3 apache-based webserver.  I've set up apache hundreds of times but only on windows and I finally am taking the time to learn FreeBSD 7.0 and I'm just getting used to the system use, etc.  I feel confident in what I know, but I understand there is a lot that I don't know.

I spent a good portion of yesterday searching and I really came up with nothing and I'm wasting the time that I have available for this project.

System setup:

FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE

Apache 2.2.X

PHP 5.2.6

Problem:

When I try to load e107 onto a virtual host for a friend, the web-based installer complains that PHP XML Extension is either not loaded completely or parts of it are not loaded.  I'm "new" to FreeBSD.  I need to be talked through what needs to get done.

I may have forgotten to include the PHP XML Extension during the config process, but when I go back to /usr/ports/lang/php5 and do a make install clean it pulls the config from when I first did a make install clean.

I thought that the PHP XML Extension is part of the core of PHP, so how could I forget to compile PHP without it?

Do I need to do pkg_delete?  Will that cause problems?

Can I somehow find and remove the make config file somewhere and just "pave over" the current install of php?

Can I configure php to use the PHP XML Extension without recompiling it?

Thanks for any help,

Joe

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.