Big Form Little Form

Hi there, I'm designing a website where visitors will be able to record the football games they've attended.

Ideally this will be done by toggling a checkbox displayed next to each game (see http://www.awayfans.co.uk/results/index.php?confederationID=7&countryID=4&divisionID=6&clubID=93&season=2006 for an example [no code behind checkboxes]).  There may be up to 60-70 games displayed on a page.

If a user has attended a game, they check the checkbox which will add an entry to a table containing the user ID and the game ID.

When the checkbox is unchecked, it will remove the entry from the same table.

My question is, should the table be updated when the checkbox is toggled (by submitting a unique form for each particular game using javascript) or should there be one form for all the matches with a submit button for the lot)???

I hope that makes sense.  All suggestions appreciated.

Hi,

This is really a useabillity question. Most users would expect to check all the checkboxes they want, and then click on a submit button to save it. If they just check a box, how are they going to know that their selection has been saved? Unless you let them know it has they will assume your app is broken. Also, if you are going to submit one checkbox at a time, make sure you do it using ajax. If you don't the page has to be re rendered each time they check / uncheck a box which is very inefficient.

Robin

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.