[SOLVED] preg_replace/ pulling mysql data for zip code and e-mail

BandonRandon

Hello,

I have searched for forum for an answer and looked at countless websites. However, Regex is just something i don't understand. I view myself as more of a designer than a programmer my friends say i should just stick to design but that's another story.

Here's what I'm trying to do, I'm storing my zip code, and phone number into the database as strings of numbers with no formating then trying to use preg_replace to put them into a format that looks nice on the page. Everything is working but i'm sure on a few things. How to make the zip code only have a dash if there is more than 5 digits and how to make the e-mail in the format name[at]domain[dot]com.

here is the code:

function MakeHyperlink($text) {
$text = preg_replace("/((http(s?):\/\/)|(www\.))([\S\.]+)\b/i","<a href=\"http$3://$4$5\" target=\"_blank\">$2$4$5</a>", $text); // url replace
$text = preg_replace("/([\w\.]+)(@)([\S\.]+)\b/i","<a href=\"mailto:$1[at]$3\">$1[at]$3</a>",$text); //e-mail replace
$text = preg_replace("/([0-9]{3})([0-9]{3})([0-9]{4})/", "($1) $2-$3", $text); //phone number replace
$text = preg_replace("/([0-9]{5})([0-9]{4})?/", "$1-$2", $text); //zip code replace
return nl2br($text);}

Thanks,

Brandon

<?php
$text = '123456789, 12345, xxx.sss@some.net';
$text = preg_replace("/([\w\.]+)(@)(([^\s\.]+)(\.)([^\s]*))/i","<a href=\"mailto:$1[at]$3\">$1[at]$4[dot]$6</a>",$text); //e-mail replace
$text = preg_replace("/([0-9]{5})([0-9]{4})/", "$1-$2", $text); //zip code replace
echo $text;
?>

Some additions:

• Added shorthands
  • There's no need to escape . inside of a character class
  • Added a possessive to prevent backtracking before @
  • Changed enclosing quotes to avoid unnecessary escapes
  • Removed unnecessary parentheses

<pre>
<?php
$text = '123456789, 12345, xxx.sss@some.net';
$text = preg_replace(
'/([^@\s]++)@([^\s.]+)\.(\S+)/i',
'<a href="mailto:$1[at]$2[dot]$3">$1[at]$2[dot]$3</a>',
$text
);
$text = preg_replace(
'/(\d{5})(\d{4})/',
'$1-$2',
$text
);
echo $text;
?>
</pre>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.