Using a directory tree vs database

peuge

I am making a simple picture gallery for an artist. What I basically have in my gallery is a category list on the left (portrait, landscape etc) the enlarged picture in the middle, and the thumbnails on the right. Right now I have an images folder and in that folder I have a folder for each category. So for the category list on the left I use php to get the list of folders and display them. Then for the thumbnails the php gets each picture in the specified category and displays them. For the large picture there is a images/category/large folder. I was wandering if this is sufficient or if there will be too much server load? Currently there will be at most 100 pictures in the gallery. The reason I did it this way was so that adding new pictures I can just dump the file(s) in its respective folder and no other changes are needed. For the name of the picture I just use the filename.

Thanks in advance

Well, mine, I use directory rather than dbase to store pix, though I don't use directory tree. The structure of the pictures is handled over the dbase, of course, with several tables to be used and all. In terms of names of the file, once uploaded, I changed them to the convenience of the system to avoid redundancy.

That's my picture, am also interested in hearing how others do this. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.