please give code to redirect site's root to sub folder

Ricky.

I have my site at www.domain.com/subfolder/

hence I want www.domain.com to 301 redirect to /subfolder

Also, domain.com to /subfolder

Earlier I was using this simple

redirect 301 /index.php http://www.domain.com/subfolder/  

But it was causing problem as www. and without www it was looking different as well as no subdomain was working as it was also getting redirected to www.domain.com/subfolder

Then I used this :

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^subdomain1\.domain\.com
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^subdomain2\.domain\.com
Rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/subfolder/$1 [r=301,nc]

Now, with above, subdomain1.domain.com, subdomain2.domain.com are working fine but it is also redirecting any other folder than /subfolder to www.domain.com/subfolder ..

ie. if someone tries to access www.domain.com/anothersubfolder then it is getting redirect to www.domain.com/subfolder

Any help is greatly appreciated ..

PS: This 301 redirect stuff has really messed my sites ranking as for main keywords its gone to 5th 6th pags from no.1 position ..

for one of my sites, I have www.domain.com redirect to www.domain.com/main.php so I have a file index.php and all it has on it is:

<?php

header("Location: main.php");

?>

There are other ways to do what you need, but to me, this is the easiest. and you can easily modify where it redirects by editing this file.

Note: if you have an index.htm page, you probably won't be able to know if going to domain.com will access index.htm or index.php so basically, I suggest checking your root directory for any other file named index

Hi Danny, that is good that you suggested it but my need are different, I need to 301 redirect forum root to subfolder , its not just a file. Also, I want to take care about conical name.. ie. I want all none www name to redirect to www version too.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.