Session and Back hyperlink

ballouta

Hello

I am using sessions for a simple login system.

the user will arrive to one of the pages where he needs to go back to his main page when he first loged in. when I press on "back to main page' link (login.php) the page gives an error, I have to login again!

how do I solve this problem?

thank you

Hi

the login.php page contains the following code:

<?php
session_start();

// html code goes here

include('CMS/global.inc.php');

$user=$_POST['user'];
$pass=$_POST['pass'];
$_SESSION['username'] = "$user"; // my old code was using the variable $user, then I had to use sessions so i wrote this line

$query = "SELECT * FROM `members` WHERE `user` = '$user' and `pass` = '$pass' AND `blk` = 'N' ";
$result = mysql_query($query);
$row = mysql_fetch_array($result);

if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {
echo "
<ul>
<li><font face='Verdana' size='2'><a href='upload/sendfile.php'>Send *ask file</a></font></li>
<li><font face='Verdana' size='2'><a href='../check.php'>Check for received files</a></font></li>
<li><font face='Verdana' size='2'><a href='credits.php'>Show credits history</a></font></li>
<li><font face='Verdana' size='2'><a href='history.php'>Show/Download files history</a></font></li>
<li><font face='Verdana' size='2'><a href='edit.php'>Edit account</a></font></li>";
</ul>";
}
else { echo "error"; }

?>

the above links are the pages in each member page. If I open the history.php page, i can see some data,,, ok.

when I press on a link in history page (Back to Main Page which login.php), the page doesn't work...

Note that history page have some queries to view history for files processes.

How do i fix this problem so the user can return back to his main page using a hyperlink?

thanks alot

Do your other pages (check.php, credit.php, history.php) call session_start(); at the top of them?

Do those pages also POST to login.php? The way it's written says to always set $_SESSION['username'] to $user which is a POST variable. So, if your just using a plain HTML link, the session variable won't be set to anything because $_POST['user'] doesn't exist. You need to add a check in there to only set $_SESSION vars when say your login form is submitted to it.

Something like this:

if($_POST['loginFormSubmitted']) {
   $user=$_POST['user'];
   $pass=$_POST['pass'];
   $_SESSION['username'] = "$user";
} else {
   print_r($_SESSION);
}

So now when any of your other pages link to this page it will not try and set the $_SESSION var, but instead just display them. Try it out.

BTW

You should also be doing some sanitizing of those variables before you use them in queries!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.