Mail() function

samona

Hi,

I'm trying to send email using PHP and a remote Windows smtp server.  I changed my php.ini file to point to the ip address of the server and set the From settings.  The next thing I did was:

1. Upload the script

<?php
$to = "samona@gmail.com";
$subject = "Hi!";
$body = "Hi,\n\nHello World!";
if (mail($to, $subject, $body)) {
  echo("<p>Message successfully sent!</p>");
} else {
  echo("<p>Message delivery failed...</p>");
}
?>

2.  I uploaded the script to my server.

3.  I opened the page where the script is located and I get an error saying Message delivery failed...

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks in advance.

Add the following two lines after your first opening <?php tag to get php to help you find why the mail() function call failed -

ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);

Unless your IP address is "trusted" by the remote mail server, it will typically require that you authenticate against an email account on that server using SMTP Authentication (the same as if you were using a email client like Outlook.) The mail() function does not support SMTP Authentication. You would need to use something like the phpmailer class, which opens a socket connection with the mail server and exchanges STMP commands.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.