Getting Started with WAMP

justbob3377

Hi.  Newbie here.

I have had it up to HERE with Microsoft and MS Access and am ready to start using a more intelligent solution...

Unfortunately, I have no experience with WAMP.  (Have lots of database and programming experience, though.)

Questions:

--------------

1.) Realistically, how long would it take me to install Appache (?), PHP and MySQL on a Windows XP machine?

2.) How long will it take to get these configured and working?

3.) If I get a Dummy's book, use online help, and use this website, how long should it take me to have a reasonable backend database and local web-forms working on my computer?

I have an Expense database that desperately needs building as I am swamped in Receipts, and I am tired of digging myself deeper with MS Access, however, I don't want to wait 3 months for WAMP to help save me.

Any wisdom would greatly be appreciated!

Just Bob

1.) Realistically, how long would it take me to install Appache (?), PHP and MySQL on a Windows XP machine?

2.) How long will it take to get these configured and working?

No more than 5 minutes, to install AMP go to wampserver.com, download and install. Once setup open you browser and go to http://localhost

3.) If I get a Dummy's book, use online help, and use this website, how long should it take me to have a reasonable backend database and local web-forms working on my computer?

I have an Expense database that desperately needs building as I am swamped in Receipts, and I am tired of digging myself deeper with MS Access, however, I don't want to wait 3 months for WAMP to help save me.

Do not expect to pick up the PHP language instantly, it takes time. Before trying to do anything make sure you have a thorough understanding of the basics, such as variables, data types etc. Then move on to using PHP with a MySQL database.

Do not expect to pick up the PHP language instantly, it takes time. Before trying to do anything make sure you have a thorough understanding of the basics, such as variables, data types etc. Then move on to using PHP with a MySQL database.

Do you think it's worth trying to build my Expense system with PHP/MySQL or is it more practical to keep "nursing" MS Access for now?

If I thought I could get a basic back-end built and with some data entry forms then I'd jump in.

Just Bob

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.