Confused on how to approach database

RottenBananas

Hello,

I hope this is in the right section.

So im trying to make myspace from scratch on my localhost to learn php. I dont know what to do with the database(im new to mysql and php).

So far I have one table that holds everything...username, email, name blah blah

Here are my questions:

1. Assuming my site was real and I had millions of users what are the pros/cons of having all that info in one table? I have a weird feeling having it all in one table is dumb but i dont know any better.

2. If i make separate tables how can I access the same row from diff tables. For example I have users table and files table for their pics. users has an id, how do i know that this id corresponds to these pics in the files table?

3.I want to have it so they can upload music. What field could that be? Do i need a separate field for every song they upload? or a new table for every user?

Just confused on the database stuff I've never worked with them before

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks!

OK i wanna make sure i have this right before actually making changes to the db.

Users table : id, name, username, password, email

Files table : id, song_id, name, type, size, content(the actual file)

To get user X's files i would select * from files where id=$_SESSION['id'];

Now do i need song_id? If its the primary key and auto increments itll span across different users.

...sorry im still confused ???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.