SQL/PHP: returning results where 2 people's fields match.

dxdolar

I'm trying to show only the fields where 2 users share a common interest.

let's say my database looks like this:

user_id | interest

1  |  cats

1  |  dogs

1  |  fish

2  |  dogs

2  |  fish

2  |  birds

I'm trying to return the interests where user 1 and user 2 match (dogs and fish) and then display them

I started writing out this :

$q = "SELECT interests FROM table WHERE user_id='$id1'";	
$q2 = "SELECT interests FROM table WHERE user_id='$id2'";
$r = mysqli_query ($dbc, $q); 
$r2 = mysqli_query ($dbc, $q2);

$row1 = mysqli_fetch_array ($q, MYSQLI_ASSOC);
$row2 = mysqli_fetch_array ($q, MYSQLI_ASSOC);

so I have 2 values of data, then I would compare them using a PHP function (that I don't know) and set that to a array and return the array? I just know that's SUPER inefficient and not elegant at all.

Is there a way to do this in a single MYSQL query? or can someone tell me the PHP function in order to compare the results of 2 queries? I know I could also use:

$q="SELECT interests FROM table WHERE user_id='1' AND user_id='2'; 

but I don't really know how I'd compare a single array of values against itself.

Thanks oh wise teachers of the web, any help would be appreciated.

I've thought about this for some time and there are ways to get the information by combining a SQL join and and some PHP loops with multi-dimensional arrays but I'm pretty sure that you CAN get what you're looking for in a single SQL join using the MATCH statement.  Without testing out different variants on a live database, I'm afraid me supplying that SQL statement would be horribly incorrect.  Although, here is an article talking about SQL Matches:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html

HTH

if what you are trying to fetch the common interests of different users and given that users are some anonymous, here's a simple work around:

SELECT t1.user_id as user1, t2.user_id as user2, interest
FROM table_name as t1
INNER JOIN table_name as t2 ON t1.interest = t2.interest AND t1.user_id <> t2.user_id

if user_id's are given, then just add them by inserting a WHERE clause.

cheers,

Jay

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.