Menu won't align properly

garry

The picture attached shows the problem I've got. Basically, I want the menu to be at the bottom of the header div but for some reason, it thinks that the top is the bottom. I've specified a height for the header div and can't work out why this is happening. Here's the code:

<html>
<!-- the css -->
<style type="text/css">
body {
background-color: #4d9bd5;
font-family:'lucida grande',verdana,helvetica,arial,sans-serif;
font-size: 90%;
}

#container {
width: 820px;
margin: 0 auto;
height: auto;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}

#header {
height: 200px;
position: relative;
background-color: #CCCCCC;
}
#menu {
position: relative;
height: 26px;
bottom: 0px;
}

#menu ul {margin:0 auto; padding:0; list-style:none; display:table; white-space:nowrap; list-style:none; height:2em; position:relative; font-size:0.9em;}
#menu li {display:table-cell; margin:0; padding:0;}
#menu li a {display:block; float:left; height:2em; line-height:2em; color:#333; text-decoration:none; font-family:arial, verdana, sans-serif; font-weight:bold; text-align:center; padding:0 0 0 12px; cursor:pointer; background:url('menu/0a.gif') no-repeat;}
#menu li a b {float:left; display:block; padding:0 12px 0 0; background:url(menu/0b.gif) no-repeat right top;}
#menu li.current a {color:#000; background:url(menu/2a.gif) no-repeat;}
#menu li.current a b {background:url(menu/2b.gif) no-repeat right top;}
#menu li a:hover {color:#000; background: url(menu/1a.gif) no-repeat;}
#menu li a:hover b {background:url(menu/1b.gif) no-repeat right top;}
#menu li.current a:hover {color:#000; background: url(menu/2a.gif) no-repeat; cursor:default;}
#menu li.current a:hover b {background:url(menu/2b.gif) no-repeat right top;}

</style>

<!-- The HTML -->

<div id="container">

<div id="header">

<div id="menu">
	<ul>
	<li class="current"><a href="#nogo"><b>Home</b></a></li>
	<li><a href="#nogo"><b>About</b></a></li>
	<li><a href="#nogo"><b>Page 1</b></a></li>
	<li><a href="#nogo"><b>Page 2</b></a></li>
	<li><a href="#nogo"><b>Contact</b></a></li>
	</ul>
	</div>
        </div>
</div>

</html>

If anyone could help i'd greatly appreciate it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ah that works, thank you! I was wondering if you could explain why it worked. I was under the impression that position absolute always worked out the positioning from the very top left hand corner of the page and was to be avoided where possible as bad coding practice.

You are almost right. That is how absolute positioning works usually. But if you set position:relative on an element, and set absolute positioning on a child of that element, then the child will be positioned absolutely relative to the parent element. You had the header position set to relative, so when you set position: absolute and bottom: 0 to the menu, it was put at the bottom of the header div.

Absolute positioning often isn't a great method honestly, though it does have it's time and place. I don't know if this is that time and place - I haven't seen your whole page/code. But it solves the problem you were having right now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.