[SOLVED] problem with addslashes() and mysql_real_escape_string()

niranjnn01

Hello,

I am having a problem with addslashes() and mysql_real_escape_string() . When i use addslashes, the value i get entered into the database is a A, whereas, when i use mysql_real_escape_string(), The database entry is blank...

any idea why this is happening like this?

Thanks

Rakesh

You are probably calling the mysql_real_escape_string() function before a connection has been made to a database server and it is returning a null value, which you then put into your query and the query is failing due to the resulting syntax error, but your query has no error checking, error reporting, or error recovery logic to get it to tell you what is occurring, but I could be wrong as you did not bother to post the code you want help with (the one line you posted is pointless as that does not show where or how it is being used in the code.)

You are probably calling the mysql_real_escape_string() function before a connection has been made to a database server and it is returning a null value, which you then put into your query and the query is failing due to the resulting syntax error, but your query has no error checking, error reporting, or error recovery logic to get it to tell you what is occurring, but I could be wrong as you did not bother to post the code you want help with (the one line you posted is pointless as that does not show where or how it is being used in the code.)

Additionally, addslashes accepts a string where explode returns an array.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.