Trying to discover gaps in sequential primary key

AprilMay

Hi,

I'm currently using mySQL v5.0.51b, and i have a simple table where the primary key is named "id".  I have somewhere around 20,000 records that are supposed to be sequential (ie. 1,2,3,4, etc) , but I have some primary keys that have been going missing for some reason.  (ie. 1,2,4,5,6,9,10).  I've been trying to find a way to select all of the missing ones.

Here's what i've gotten so far:  "select id from log where not exist id=(id+1)"

but the error i get is: #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'id=(id+1) LIMIT 0, 30' at line 1

any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

you are doing a redundant query, impossible to execute.

You may have to do a nasted query :

select id from table as a where id not in (select (id+1) from table as b where b.id = a.id)

I dont have tested this si i dont know if it really works. I can't see any reason it should not :)

Z.

you are doing a redundant query, impossible to execute.

You may have to do a nasted query :

select id from table as a where id not in (select (id+1) from table as b where b.id = a.id)

I dont have tested this si i dont know if it really works. I can't see any reason it should not :)

Z.

Hi there,

I've tried this query, and it seems that the NOT is not working ... and it's only concentrating on the "IN" keyword. 

I've modified it to use the NOT EXISTS keywords:

select id from table as a where not exists (select (b.id+1) from table as b where b.id = a.id)

but now i have the empty set as the result, i think because the condition in the subquery (b.id = a.id) equals the selection in the first query (select id from a)

So now I'm trying this:

select id from table as a where not exists (select (b.id) from table as b where (b.id+1) = a.id)

because what i want are all the ids where id+1 exists, and then ignoring it.

but it's taking forever, i guess because it has to go through all 50000 entries many, many times :(

edit:  it looks like this is working!

why is sequentialness important?

Sequentialness is important in my case because of error checking.  Gaps in sequential ordering means that something went wrong.  I guess there could be other applications for it (say, a database keeping track of cheque numbers should have it sequential, though not necessarily in the primary key)

this will list the missing ids

<?php
$sql = "SELECT id FROM tablename ORDER BY id";
$res = mysql_query($sql);

$prev = 0;
while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($res))
{
    if ($row[0] != $prev+1)
    {
        for ($i=$prev+1; $i < $row[0]; $i++) echo "$i<br/>";
    }
    $prev = $row[0];
}

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.