dos and donts of set_time_limit();

libertyct

i have been programming alot of email dispatch systems recently and at times had to send out emails in batches of 500 - 2000 at a time and the set_time_limit() function has been very nice to me in terms of avoiding script time outs on some huge queries.

it turns out each time i am programming something, the functionality is becoming a lot more ambitious and more resource intensive and im starting to feel like im doing tings on the web that i could only do in a .net desktop app not too long ago. i love the idea that i can do some of these things on the web but am not sure what is overkill for the web. hopefully i haven't posted this in the wrong section but i would like to hear from fellow web dev's what your experiences are like with the increased migration of programs from desktop to web apps.

• 2 months later...

What kind of things are you doing? Did you know you can run PHP outside of a web environment and lets your scripts run for much longer?

My usual approach is to write native applications to get things done that does not belong on the web. I then implement an interface to these processes via PHP so I can share whatever the native application is doing with anyone who is interested.

I feel you should leverage the strengths of all of your tool set. Start to think about.. what things can I offload to something in C#.Net and how can I hook in to that to display it in PHP?

Good luck. If you have any questions about this type of thing feel free to ask!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.