first php login help plz

littlething

MySQL version: 5.0.51b

PHP version    :5.2.6

ok i have just started prgraming my first text based php game. i have connected to the database using this code

$user = "root";

$host = "localhost";

$password = "";

$database = "game";

$cxn = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password,$database)

or die ("Coundn't connect to the database server.");

and that works fine. then i got this bit that i am using to call up the users password and because i am in development

stages i just added a test username.

$query = "SELECT password FROM members WHERE username = 'littlething'";

$result = mysql_query($query,$cxn)

or die ("Couldn't execute login query.");

i have cheaked the sql to see if it works in phpmyadmin and it comes up with the password from the members table

but when its in this code it just dies "Couldn't execute login query." . i have tryed loads of different variations such as

mysqli_query and mixin about query and cxn but they all come up with error messages like

Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, string given in C:\xampp\htdocs\index.php on line 34

i am absolutly sure all my tables, databases, colums and cap letters are fine in the mysql database. what i would like it

to do is give an output of the password to the $result var.

plz could sombody tell me where i have gone wrong?

mysql_connect only takes 3 of those parameters, you pass the DB connect on a different line.

$user = "root";

$host = "localhost";

$password = "";

$database = "game";

$cxn = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password) or die ("Couldn't connect to the database server.");

$result = mysql_select_db ($database) or die ("Couldn't connect to the database.");

ok now i have got

$user = "root";

$host = "localhost";

$password = "";

$database = "game";

$cxn = mysql_connect($host,$user,$password) or die ("Couldn't connect to the database server.");

$result = mysql_select_db ($database) or die ("Couldn't connect to the database.");

for the connection and

$query = "SELECT password FROM members WHERE username = 'littlething'";

$result = mysql_query($query)

or die ("Couldn't execute login query.");

for my query but the output of the $result when i echo it is

Resource id #3

i have also tryed th query

$query = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE username = 'littlething' AND password = 'mypass'";

but that reterns the same thing??? how would i fix that?

and 1 athoer small question what code would say if there was an answer to the query i sent?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.