turning php blog title into a link?

josh22x

Ok, I am working on setting up a php blogging engine. I have got the individual posts set up so that only about 150 words are shown initially. How do I configuring the posts so that the title in a link to the full post?

I know I could do this by making each individual title unique and then assigning a sql statement that says something like select...where title = 'whatever';. But how do I do this with php so that each title of each submitted post has a link that will automatically display the full post?

how do I do this with php so that each title of each submitted post has a link that will automatically display the full post? (like the ones on the home page of PHP Freaks)

I assume this would be possible with php and mysql, but would javaScript be necessary?

Thanks in advance!

-- If you could give me a short example of code to demonstrate a solution that would be great!

Not sure what you mean. You mean like:

"Well this is my new blogging system. It will automatically cut off wo... [READ MORE]"

If you mean like that you can use substr on the front page and then just make a page something like:

<?php
//readme.php
$_readid=$_GET["id"];
$_return=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table WHERE id = '".$_readid."' LIMIT 1");
$_rows=mysql_fetch_array($_return);
echo(nl2br($_rows["content"]));
?>

"Well this is my new blogging system. It will automatically cut off wo... <a href='readme.php?id=1'>[READ MORE]</a>"

Keep in mind there is no security on that, so you will want to add some.

EDIT: This forum turns < /a> into [ /url] =\

Yes, that is exactly what i am trying to accomplish. I understand what you are saying, except how would I assign the id?

I am assuming that would just be a temporary id assigned to each post, but that would not be something pulled from the database correct?

Could you elaborate on how I would assign one of these ids to each post and then have it assigned to the Read More link?

Thanks!

Sorry, I just say you connect to the database for that...

Basically, I do not know how to tell the link (when I click on it) what post to select? - via an id or whatever.

Would I use the $_GET for this purpose. If so, how?

Right now I am using get and it is returning nothing?

Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.