Expert database design needed :)

jmcall10

Hi,

Ok I am starting a project again as I think my database design was wrong from the start.

The project is to do with five a-aside football.

What I am after is to be able to store the following then refference it later on using php. For just now I am interested on how I should design the database. I.e. tables fields etc

I want to store the following and be able to make calculations on the data:

Players names (unlimited number of players can be stored)

Game info (i.e what 10 players played a game on a certain date and which 5 won and which 5 lost, or if it was a draw)

What I am wanting to be able to do is create a leage with this info and display the top players.

Once I have got a good database design I will then move on to the php section and start to create the script for that.

Thanks in advance

jmcall10

Looking at the info you need to store, I'd have the following tables:

games

teams

players

The games table would have a column for the home team and a column for the away team. Also a columns for the home side score and away side score.

The teams table would simply have a column for the name of the team, a column for their current points/score and one for an id.

The players table would have players linked to their team referencing the id from the teams table.

When a game ends, winning players should have their score column raised by 1. If you want to award players for a draw then you may have to change the way this score works (maybe 2 for win, 1 for draw and 0 for lose).

You are on the right track, however as it is a five asides game the teams change every week and are not fixed. So there is no need to keep track of team points as there are no official teams. I only want to track the players points depending on if they win lose or draw.

I hope this makes sense to someone somewhere :P

Thanks again :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.